The Сompany is aware of global concerns about climate change, aware of the possible threats of natural disasters, threats to human life and health, disruption of ecosystems, significant damage to the biodiversity of the animal and plant world of the planet and other consequences of climate change.
The Company takes into account the formation of significant amounts of greenhouse gas emissions from energy companies, which can have an impact on the climate and create climate risks. The problem of the relationship between global warming and emissions of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere in the global scientific community is debatable. The Strategic Global Climate Care Partnership, jointly implemented by the United Nations Global Compact, the secretariat of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) is based on the position that global warming is associated with industrialization and industrial production growth. The European Union countries have defined targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions by at least 20% by 2020, mainly due to the transition from fossil fuel-based energy production to renewable energy.
In strategic planning of its activities, the Company takes into account factors related to the potential impact of the objectives of the Paris climate agreement on the global balance of primary energy consumption and forecast data on aspects:
- Transition of developed countries to a low-carbon economy and reduced demand for traditional products;
- Improving the fuel efficiency of the fleet;
- Reducing hydrocarbon consumption in the transport sector;
- Development of electric and gas vehicles;
- Development of renewable energy sources;
- Regulatory, financial and other aspects.
The current operational costs of air protection and climate change mitigation in 2017 amounted to
214.4 million rubles
Investments in fixed assets aimed at protecting the atmospheric air in 2017 amounted to
1,522.5 million rubles
In the framework of measures to prevent global climate change, the Company implements consistent actions:
- Targeted measures aimed at the rational use of associated petroleum gas (APG), reducing its combustion volumes and systematically reducing emissions of pollutants into the atmosphere, increasing the utilization of associated petroleum gas and its targeted use for economic purposes.
- The development of a corporate accounting system and management of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Energy efficiency and energy saving programs.
- The development of renewable and alternative energy sources.
- Programs of replenishment of forests and green spaces.
The Company provides an indicator of beneficial use of associated petroleum gas (APG) in excess of 95% . The main direction of APG utilization is processing at its own facilities and further transfer of the products obtained to consumers. In addition, APG is used as fuel in various equipment.
In order to utilize APG and reduce the negative impact on the atmospheric air, the Company provides:
- construction of facilities for the use of associated petroleum gas, as well as work on their technical re-equipment, reconstruction and modernization;
- reducing the loss of hydrocarbon raw materials, increasing the volume of its processing, improving the energy efficiency of production;
- implementation of measures to reduce hydrocarbon emissions from storage tanks and oil preparation;
- performance adjustment work on fuel-burning equipment;
- monitoring the efficiency of operation of gas treatment plants, their current and scheduled preventive maintenance;
- implementation of measures to control emissions during periods of adverse meteorological conditions;
- conversion to gas fuel vehicles.
The Company prevents air emissions more
3 million tons (in CO2-equivalent)
greenhouse gas per year due to the high level of beneficial use of APG
Tatneft is developing a corporate system for accounting and managing greenhouse gas emissions.
In 2017, the Company began to implement a system for accounting and inventory of greenhouse gases in accordance with the new requirements of the legislation of the Russian Federation and international standards in the field of climate change.
Data collection and calculation of methane emissions in the reporting period is carried out according to approved methods in accordance with the rules of the Russian Federation in the field of establishing standards for maximum permissible pollutant emissions.
In order to reduce emissions of «landfill gases» into the atmosphere, the Company is implementing the project «Landfill Gas Utilization of MSW (Solid Municipal Waste) landfills». This project is aimed at collecting and using landfill gas, which will not only reduce the anthropogenic pressure on the environment in the area of the MSW landfill, but also reduce the risk of climate change. Within the framework of the project «Disposal of landfill gas of MSW landfills (municipal solid waste)» the following types of work were performed:
- A basic project «Landfill Gas Utilization» was developed and approved by the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of the Republic of Tatarstan.
- An investment project «Disposal of landfill gas from TKO landfills» has been developed.
- Meetings were held with representatives of the Ministry of Economic Development of the Republic of Tajikistan, executive committees of the cities of Kazan, Naberezhnye Chelny, Nizhnekamsk on the choice of landfill site for landfill gas utilization.
- Together with the Ministry of Economic Development of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Kazan Executive Committee, a pilot testing ground was chosen — the former CJSC KEK Samosyrovo; today, the MSW landfill belongs to the Kazan executive committee.
- Works on testing the landfill by TatNIPIneft specialists and Prombiogaz LLC for the methane landfill performance.
Currently, regulations are being developed for the design of a degassing installation and design documentation for the degassing of a municipal solid waste landfill for a selected landfill.
In order to create a favorable environment in the area of its activities and increase the absorption of greenhouse gases, Tatneft Company, since 2000, annually implements special programs for greening the near-track lanes along public roads and industrial roads in the oil regions of Tatarstan.